Oral Hygiene for Families on the Go
Posted on March 27th, 2023
Today’s families seem to be busier than they were in the past—lots of homework, extracurricular activities, and hopefully, some quality time spent with the family. Here are a few ideas from Main Street Dental to make consistent oral hygiene a little more convenient:
- Brushing teeth in the shower: as hard as it is to get your teenager out the door for school, this just may work—even though it probably won’t save water! And speaking of water…
- Water bottles everywhere: in backpacks, purses, and cars. Anything you or your child drinks that isn’t water—in other words, any liquid that tastes good—is either acidic or will turn into the acids that cause tooth decay. Teach kids to swish and spit with water after food and non-water beverages.
- Gum with xylitol for a treat: Xylitol has been shown to prevent cavities. Read those labels, you may be pleasantly surprised!
- Dental travel kits for the car: fill them with water, extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, healthy snacks, and reusable straws. (Why straws? They help sugar from coating kids’ teeth.)
- Interactive toothbrushes: fluoride toothpaste is a lot more fun if your toothbrush speaks like a favorite movie character, makes cool noises, or plays a song.
If you’re looking for a dentist that sees kids in the Wallingford area, make an appointment with Main Street Dental today!
The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.